It has been 7 months since I have been following a diet plan which requires me to eat high protein grilled/ tandoori food once a week .
So in my journey of eating clean yet yummy home cooked food , here is my healthy version of lip smacking Soya Chaap .
It has been marinated in hung curd (another high protein ingredient) and the oil has been limited to just basting the surface of chaap for charring the top so that you get a crispy exterior and yet a soft and juicy interior.
Soya Chaap/ chunks have a high capacity to soak oil and if cooked in too much fat they tend to lose their healthy properties .
This is a great dish to feast upon without cheating on your diet.
This can be grilled in Oven / Air Fryer / Tandoor .
Tandoori Soya Chaap
Prep Time : 2-3 hours marination + 10 minutes
Cooking time : 18-20 minutes
Serves : 2
- Soya Chaap : 6-7 in number
- For Marination :
- Hung Curd : 1/2 cup
- Ginger Paste : 1 tbsp
- Garlic Paste : 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli Paste : 1 tbsp
- Cumin Powder : 1/2 tbsp
- Tandoori Masala (Kohinoor) : 2 heaped tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Basting Oil :
- Vegetable Oil : 2-3 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder : 1 tbsp
- Wash the Soya Chaap well and make diagonal slits in Chaap.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing ingredients mentioned above in the ‘For Marination’ category.
- Coat the Chaap well with the marinade . Let it marinate for 2-3 hours in refrigerator.
- For grilling , preheat the oven / airfryer at 180 degree C for 8-10 minutes.
- Prepare the basting Oil by mixing oil and red chilli powder and keep it at the side.
- Line the oven tray with foil paper .
- Place the Chaap with adequate spacing on the tray , remove the excess marinade in between the Chaap sticks if any .
- Brush the basting Oil on the upper surface of Chaap and place the tray in preheated oven.
- Grill for 15 minutes .
- Remove tray and turn over the Chaap sticks . Apply basting Oil with a brush again on the newly exposed side .
- Grill for another 5-8 minutes till outer surface appears crispy and red.
- Remove from oven .
- Sprinkle chaat masala and Serve hot with pickled onions , lemon wedges and our signature Tandoori Mint Chutney .
- I use Kohinoor Tandoori Chicken Masala and it gives me excellent results . But you can use any Tandoori Masala of your choice . My experience with Everest Tandoori Masala was really bad so avoid using it.
- Do add red chilli powder to basting Oil for the luscious red colour .
- The timings may change according to your oven setting and quantity , so keep checking after 15 minutes .
For more Tandoori Snacks : Click here !
Liked this article? Do share and spread the love.