Dates are well known as one of the superfoods. The benefits of dates include relief from constipation, intestinal disorders, heart problems, anemia, diarrhea, abdominal cancer, and many other conditions.
Dates are also good for gaining weight , specially for children. They are rich in several vitamins, minerals and fiber too. These delicious fruits contain oil, calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium which are all beneficial for health. Some health specialists have said that eating one day per day is necessary for a balanced and healthy diet.
This is my way of including these superfoods in my 8 months old twins diet.
Dates and Oats Porridge
- For Dates Purée
- Dates(khajur): 15-20 (pitted)
- Cinnamon powder : a pinch
- Water : for dilution
- For Oats
- Regular rolled oats : 1/4cup (grind/powder them in a blender)
- Water : ~ 1 cup
- For Dates Purée: Take a saucepan and add dates (pitted/ stones removed) , cinnamon powder and water (enough to cover them) and cook on low heat . Keep cooking while stirring and mashing with a fork intermittently until the syrup becomes thick and all dates get easily mashed with fork. Add water to dilute the consistency . Dates Purée will be ready in 10-12 minutes . Blend for smoother consistency. It can be stored in fridge for later use.
- For Porridge: Take water (almost 1 cup) in a separate saucepan and add 3 tablespoons of Dates Purée as prepared in step one.Bring it to boil. For babies , first grind Oats separately . Add Oats to water and dates mix and cook on medium heat, while continuously stirring,till Oats are done, usually in 8-10 minutes . Add water to reach desired consistency. Stir regularly to avoid clumps.
Check temperature before serving .
- Optional variations :
- If thick dates strands are left , purée the Porridge after cooking .
- You can also add formula milk or breastmilk after cooking , to make it creamy .
Happy Parenting 🙂
Still confused about what to feed your baby ? Read our Ultimate Baby Food Recipe List – Click here!
👇🏻Like us on Facebook : Click here👇🏻https://m.facebook.com/FridayNColumn/