Gond Katira also known as Edible gum is a jelly like superfood known to improve immunity and stamina in kids.
It distinctly defines summers and vacations in the peak heat of Delhi in my childhood. I remember gulping down jugfull of classic Gondh wala doodh as a kid.
This one tradition I had to pass down to my kids , specially because Gondh Katira is now considered so incredibly healthy .
Gondh Flavoured Milk – Classic, Khus and Rose
- 5- 6 crystals of Gondh Katira soaked in a big bowl of water overnight
- 1 bowl of crushed Ice
- A glass of milk ~250 ml (for each glass of flavoured milk)
- For classic :Sugar as per your taste
- For Khus flavoured milk :2 teaspoon khus syrup
- For Rose flavoured milk :2 teaspoon rose syrup
- Soak 5-6 crystals of Gondh Katira in a big bowl of water overnight,it will swell up almost 10 times its volume , drain it in the morning of any excess water and store in refrigerator for later use .
- Take a standard sized glass , add 2-3 spoons crushed ice to it .Add 2 tablespoons (or more if you like) of presoaked Gondh Katira .
- For classic : add sugar to the glass and pour cold milk over it . Give it a stir and your Classic Gondh Milk is ready.
- For khus flavoured : add 2 teaspoon of khus syrup to the glass with crushed ice and Gondh and add cold milk over it .Give it a stir and your Khus flavoured Gondh Milk is ready.
- For rose flavoured : add 2 teaspoon of rose syrup to the glass with crushed ice and Gondh and add cold milk over it .Give it a stir and your Rose flavoured Gondh Milk is ready.
Believe me , it was a super hit with my toddlers .
You can opt to omit the sugar and serve it plain with cold milk as well.
My toddlers call it the ‘Noodle wala dudhu’.
Refrigerate the presoaked Gondh for later use , it stays good for 7-10 days in the fridge .
I have used Khus and Rose syrups from Kaleva , a mithai shop in Connaught Place ,Delhi.
Recipe Note : After a few feedback questions I did some research and found that Gondh Katira and gond are different . Hence please look for Gondh Katira crystals for the above recipe .
Pin it on Pinterest for later :