Homemade instant baby food cereal is a must-have item in your pantry. Though I thoroughly enjoy cooking variety of babyfood for my twins, sometimes I am too tired to make the effort. Also when I am away at work, and my twins’ caretaker is preoccupied with other tasks, this is a safe and quick alternative while still being healthy and nutritious.
This is my third batch of homemade cerelac , and hence is tried and tested. You can feed it to babies 6months and above.
You can make a month’s supply in one hour and store it. It stays well in air-tight containers for 2-3 months , in cool and dry storage conditions.
It is an excellent option while travelling as once stored in air-tight container, it can be easily transported in your travel bag.
I avoid commercial baby food preparations as they contain sugar and anything out of a box is not a great option for baby’s routine meals.
Homemade Instant Baby Food Cereal : Rice and Moong Dal
- White Rice (Parboiled) : 1 cup (uncooked)
- Moong Dal/ Green Bengal Gram (split and husked) :1 cup (uncooked)
- Water : Enough to soak
- Wash and Soak both Rice and Moong dal in separate vessels in enough water to cover them, for 4-6 hours.
- Drain the water and spread both the ingredients separately on trays.Keep the trays in sunlight and let them sun-dry.Usually takes 2-3 hours on a bright and clear sunny day.
- Dry roast both the ingredients on low heat separately in heavy bottom wide based pan. Keep stirring to avoid burning and sticking to pan.
- Keep roasting until the grains become stiff and opaque. On taking a bite, the rice grains should be crunchy and crisp. Dal when well done will shrink in size , darken in colour and exude a wonderful aroma (just like the roasted moong dal namkeen commercially available).
- The dry roasting will take 15-20 minutes for each set of grains.
- Once done, remove from heat. Spread in another clean vessel (both separately) and let it cool.
- Grind the grains in a blender one by one to a powdery consistency. Sieve the powdered grain for smoothness.
- Store in air-tight container.
Preparation: For 90 ml feed
- At home:
- Take 3 tablespoon of powdered rice / moongdal in a saucepan.
- Add 90 ml or 1/3 cup of boiled water in the bowl and mix.You can add more water to make consistency of your choice.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Keep mixing to avoid lumps.
- Instant homemade baby cereal is ready to serve in under 2 minutes. Check the temperature of the food before feeding your baby.
- While traveling :
- Take 3 tablespoon of powdered rice / moongdal in a bowl.
- Add 90 ml or 1/3 cup of boiling hot water (not warm) in the bowl and mix well to avoid lumps.
- Let it stay covered for 5 minutes.
- Instant homemade baby cereal is ready to serve in 5 minutes. Check the temperature of the food before feeding your baby.
- To make Khichdi: Take 1 1/2 tablespoon powdered rice and 1 1/2 tablespoon powdered moongdal for 1/3 cup (~90ml) of boiled water . Repeat the steps as mentioned above.
- Optional Addition : While cooking at home , you can add 1tbsp ghee to enhance flavour.
- Cooking in saucepan gives better results and creamier consistency, hence use the second method only while travelling.
- In younger babies , starting solid foods, cooking in saucepan with runny consistency will be easier for them to digest .
Have you read our Ultimate Baby Food Recipe List? Click here ! It has 30 + healthy baby food options.
Travelling with a baby ? Here is the all inclusive checklist before you head for your wanderlust trail?
Liked this post ? Don’t forget to share and spread the love.
Also,Find us on Facebook and Follow! Click here!