The essence of Tandoori Chicken lies in the Tandoori smokiness and the closest method to achieve this without a tandoor is using an air fryer.
This is my first recipe in the air fryer series. I will be uploading various vegetarian options soon.
This is my ‘no-cheat’ method of Tandoori chicken. The marination is inspired from an interview of a famous restaurateur , which I had seen few months back . The key to Succulent Tandoori chicken lies in the duration of marinade and the basting of chicken with oil while cooking besides the secret marinade itself .
This recipe includes two marinades and a total marination time of 24 hours.Well, epic meals require epic preparations.
Marination time : 24 hours for 1 st marinade and 4-6 hours for 2nd marinade
Cooking time : 25 minutes
- Hung curd : 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbsp
- Vinegar : 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder : 1tbsp
- Chicken masala / Tandoori masala : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
- Secondary marination
- Mustard oil : 3 tbsp
- Garam masala : 1 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder : 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 1 tbsp
- Turmeric : a pinch
- Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder: 1 tbsp
- Kasoori Methi : 1 tbsp (optional , to add flavour )
- Tandoori Mint Chutney : click here for recipe
- For garnish :
- Thoroughly wash chicken pieces .
- Marinade the chicken with a mix of primary marination and massage well. Keep the marinated chicken overnight in fridge . (24 hours prior to cooking)
- Around 4-6 hours before cooking , marinade the chicken again with a mix of secondary marinade . Keep in fridge for 4-6 hours .
- Preheat the airfryer for 5 min at 180 degrees C .
- Put the chicken pieces in the airfryer, drizzle few drops of olive oil.Cook in airfryer for 10 min.
- Check the chicken pieces and turn the sides of chicken . Baste the chicken with a mix of oil and red chilli powder.
- Cook again for 10 more minutes at 180 degrees C .
- Serve hot with Tandoori Mint Chutney , pickled onions and lemon juice.
Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken:
1. Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius. Put a foil lined tray in the oven (middle part) .
2. Take a wired rack . Shake off excess marinade from the chicken pieces and Arrange marinated chicken on it .
3. Place the wired rack above the foil lined tray .
4. Bake for 20 min at 180 degrees Celsius .
5. Apply more marinade on all sides of chicken and bake for 10 more minutes.
6. Apply more marinade on top of chicken. Bake again for 10 minutes .
7. Apply some more marinade and baste with oil. Bake for 10 minutes or more , this time at 220 degree Celsius . The chicken should have an internal temperature of 80 degree Celsius if you check.
8. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
9. Serve with mint Chutney , onions and lemon.
- Do not have 24 hours for marination? Recently I tried the same recipe with a combined marination of all ingredients for just 2 hours and cooked the chicken in my oven . The results were still amazing . So don’t panic , just go for the recipe ! Make sure to baste the chicken midway with basting oil compromising of oil and red chilli powder. Here it is how it looked ! ￼
Liked this recipe? Do share and spread the love.
For more articles : Sign Up/ follow Friday Night Column on Facebook , Click Here!