A spicy Indian chicken curry which requires no marination. It has a thick gravy made with Indian pickling(achari) spices. It is easy to prepare and perfect for a party.
My vegetarian friends can follow the same recipe with paneer and mushroom as well (the cooking time will vary).
The following measurements serve 3 people.
Achari Murgh Curry
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
- Chicken leg pieces (skinless) : 9 in number (700gm)
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi Dana) : 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) : 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf) : 1 tsp
- Nigella seeds (Kalonji) : 1/2 tsp
- Dried red chillies : 4 in number
- Mustard oil : 3 tbsp
- Onion : 1 large onion sliced
- Garlic paste : 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 2 tsp
- Tomato puree : 2 tbsp
- Water : 100 ml
- Curd : 100 ml or 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice : 1 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Coriander : chopped for garnish
- In a heavy bottom Kadhai, heat the mustard oil and add pickling spices (number 2. to 6.) . Once they start to pop in a minute or so , add dried red chillies . Keep stirring to avoid burning spices
- Add the sliced onion and cook for 9-10 minutes till they turn light brown . Add garlic paste and ginger paste and keep stirring . If spices stick to the pan , add few drops of water to deglaze.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric and chilli powder and cook till oil separates.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat pieces with masala.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat with lid on , stir occasionally.
- Add water and bring the curry to a boil. Cook on low heat with lid on for 20 more minutes . Stir occasionally.
- Add whisked curd on low heat and stir well . Cook with lid on for 5 more minutes.
- Add lemon juice and salt .
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with chapati.
CalorieMeter: approx 294 calorie per serving (3 drumsticks)
For more recipes , Follow our Facebook page : https://m.facebook.com/FridayNColumn/