Toffee Bananas are a classic Chinese dessert .The taste and flavour is so universal that it will soon become a favourite of your family.
This dessert was made for my twins as a unique yet yummy approach to bananas which is part of my babies’ meal plan . However , it was equally relished by all my family members alike , be it a 20 year old or a 60 year old . One of the ways you can serve these bananas is by pairing it with Vanilla Icecream.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 10-15 minutes
- Bananas : 3 in number (Ripe yet firm)
- Flour : 2 tbsp
- Corn Flour : 2 tbsp
- Baking Soda : a pinch
- Oil : For frying
- Sugar : 4tbsp
- Ice Cold water with ice cubes : 1 bowl
- White Sesame Seeds : for garnish (optional)
- Peel and thickly slice each banana in 3 parts diagonally.
- Prepare batter with flour , corn flour and baking Soda . Add little water to make a thick batter.
- Coat the bananas in the batter using a toothpick or a wood skewer.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/deep fryer/wok.
- Deep Fry the batter coated bananas one by one and use tooth pick to pick and drop them in oil.
- Drain the excess oil with paper tissue.
- Prepare an Ice bath with Ice cold water and Ice cubes and keep ready on slab.
- In a thick bottomed pan , take 4 tbsp of sugar and cook on medium heat . Stir occasionally. Cook until the white sugar melts and turns into a golden brown caramel . Turn off the heat as soon as the caramel colour is achieved .
- Dip the fried bananas in the caramel , coat them using a skewer / tooth pick and immediately transfer to ice bath . This will set the caramel into a sticky toffee . Remove from bath and drain on tissue paper immediately.
- Repeat this with each fried banana slice one by one .
- Garnish with sesame seeds (optional) . I haven’t used them.
- Serve it as it is or with Vanilla Ice Cream.
It was a perfect finger food for my twins despite the sticky mess they made . Happy babies made me a happy mommy !
For sanctimommies against sugar / baking Soda , my twins’ pediatrician has given a go – ahead for absolutely no food restrictions for my babies (after they turned 9 months old) except honey.
Liked this article? Do share and spread the love.
For more articles : Sign Up/ follow Friday Night Column on Facebook , Click Here!
Leave a Reply