There are some dishes which don’t just soothe your appetite but also comfort your soul. My husband is a curd addict, and whenever he feels low , I make this quick recipe and serve it along with a warm cushy hug 🤗 .
Curd Rice : South Indian Soul Food
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Boiled Rice : 2 cups
- Curd : 1 cup
- Milk : 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped) : 1/2 cup
- Green chillies (chopped) : 3 in number
- Cucumber (peeled and thinly grated) : 1 medium sized <My Secret Ingredient>
- Salt : to taste
- For tempering / tadka:
- Oil/ Ghee : 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves : 4-6 whole
- Urad Dal/ Dehusked split black gram : 1 tbsp
- Ginger (finely chopped) : 1 tsp
- Hing (Asofoetida) : a pinch
- Dried Red Chillies (whole) : 2-3 in number
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) : 1 tbsp
- Take 2 cups of boiled rice and let them cool to room temperature.
- In a wide bowl , mix boiled rice , curd , chopped green chillies and coriander leaves, grated cucumber and salt. Add milk to dilute the consistency to your liking.
- Let the rice – curd mix cool in refrigerator (optional). You may use it immediately as well.
- Before serving , prepare the tempering oil.
- For tempering : heat oil in a Kadhai and add mustard seeds . When seeds start to splutter add ural dal, curry leaves , hing ,cumin seeds, chopped ginger and dried red chillies .
- As the Curry leaves change colour and Urad Dal darkens , switch off the heat and pour the hot tempering over the chilled curd rice mix .
- Give it a stir and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- For freshness and crunch : add grated cucumber to curd rice when you plan to serve just before adding the tempering (tadka).
Curd Rice For infants and toddlers: cook rice and let them cool. Add curd to them and keep it aside. For tempering : take 1 tbsp ghee in a pan , add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp finely chopped ginger and 1 tsp of chopped curry leaves , transfer to the vessel with curd and rice when seeds splutter . Add 1 tsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and pinch of salt (optional). Mix well . Serve warm. Or chill in fridge and serve cold. You can add milk to dilute consistency to your liking . Perfect for babies 9 months and above . For more baby food recipes : Click here !
Liked this article? Do share and spread the love.