I owe my love for Lemon Rice to my best friend and her lunch box where I first tasted this delicacy.
It was one of the first recipes I learnt because I wanted to recreate the Tamilian family favourite in my mother’s very Punjabi kitchen .
Here is a simpler version which I cook for my toddler twins.
If you are cooking it for adults you can add dry red chillies to the tempering and also amp up the lemon flavour to suit your palate.
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp Chana Dal (bengal gram)
- A pinch of Heeng (asafoetida)
- A pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp dry fruit powder
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Take ghee in a frying pan and put it on medium heat.
- Add curry leaves , mustard seeds and Chana Dal to it and let it cook on medium heat till Dal browns and seeds splutter.
- Add grated ginger and cook for a minute.
- Add Heeng and turmeric powder .
- Add cooked rice and lemon juice. Stir well and cook for a minute .
- Add salt to taste and dry fruit powder .
- Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Garnish with chopped coriander . (Optional)
- Serve warm .
Lemon Rice is part of our 14 day Toddler Meal Plan : Click here for Meal Plans .
Recipe Notes :
- If you do not have dry fruit powder , you can add crushed mix of cashew , almond , walnut and pistachio in place of it and fry it in ghee . Avoid whole nuts for younger children , to avoid choking hazard.
Don’t forget to Pin it for later !