- We don’t experience kicks in pregnancy, we host football matches in our uterus. Leave alone the count , most of the time we don’t even know which baby is kicking.
- We gain a usual of 20-30 kgs in pregnancy and no , we don’t end up looking like Celina Jaitley .
- We are sometimes not just responsible for two fragile newborns but the two are also born premature / low birth weight .
- We are more than rejoiced on having them home from the NICU . Whether they were born from a C- section or a Normal delivery is not usually a concern.
- We have to learn to breastfeed two newborns simultaneously and do that every two hours . If you think breastfeeding is difficult , think about tandem breastfeeding two delicate preemies.
- We (many of us) bottle feed and formula feed along with breastfeeding and our kids do pretty well . In fact , we are thankful for both(formula and bottle) coming to our rescue.
- The only person fussy at meal times is us : because we cannot afford to allow tantrums . Making babyfood is enough work already let alone making variety to suit a fussy eater, we usually make one thing and both have to eat.
- We are in no hurry for them to achieve gross motor milestones like crawling or walking because we are already dreading running around two .
- One of our twins usually lags behind the other in terms of milestones and we do not panic ; we know they will finally achieve it in a few days – weeks.
- We (most of us) sleep schedule . That’s the only way we can get rest. Or else we will end up frustrated out of exhaustion .
- We feed them together (one demands and the other is also fed simultaneously) , or else we ll be doing that round the clock.
- We let them sleep in their own crib/ bed because co sleeping with two is almost impossible.
- We have lots of hacks to manage kids without holiding them because most of the times we can’t hold them together .
- We love grandparents and they co- parent our kids . We need as many hands as possible .
- We make the father do a lot of hands-on work because they do not have an option.
- We never hesitate to ask for help, even from strangers.
- We try to make our kids independent as early as possible because that is one way they can help us manage them better . So we believe in self feeding and doing your own chores .
- We have to emphasise sharing because there is no way they will be getting one of each . It is not just about the finances but also space . We can’t manage two of every bulky baby stuff for them.
- Not just toys , they learn to share parents , mommy time , love and attention . They get used to seeing their mommy holding another baby from day 1.
- We have a favourite child and no , it’s not the first – born . It’s usually the better behaving kid at the moment and that changes every other day.
- Even on good days we manage to complete only the kids’ related tasks ,for household works we need assistance. Maids definitely matter.
- For a dinner date , we need to plan in advance and arrange two babysitters , but most of the time we end up just ordering take-away dinners.
- We perpetually feel guilty of not doing enough for both of them , because trying to be a super mom of two can be super tiring.
- We ignore most of the parenting advice from others as not many understand our unique scenario. We find what suits us and stick to it.
We fail , we cry , we breakdown but we rise again like the rest of you ! So whenever you feel like you have failed as a parent because of not being able to manage some parenting must-do , think of a twin mom who is struggling to even survive and you will be a little easier on yourself .
The author is mom to an adorable pair of twins C&I and for all the hardships, she gets rewarded with double the kisses and quadruple the cuddles. She is sharing her parenting journey on her blog Friday Night Column , follow her here on Facebook or Sign Up!
This write-up is not meant to offend anyone , neither the moms of twins nor the moms of singletons.
Liked it ? Do share and spread the love !
Leave a Reply