Kaanji is a traditional fermented carrot drink , a usual in punjabi households of north India .
It is made with black carrots , but this recipe uses regular carrots and beetroots for the ease of availability without compromising on the colour or taste.
It’s a quick recipe to prep for , however fermentation may take 2-3 sunny afternoons.
Kaanji : Fermented Carrot Drink
- Carrots (Regular/ black carrots) : ~700 gm .
- Beetroot : 2 medium sized (only if using regular carrots and not black carrots )
- Water : 1.5 to 2 litre
- Black Salt : 2tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder : 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 2 .5 tbsp
- Wash , scrub and peel carrots and beetroots . Cut them length wise in long pieces .
- Dry grind the mustard seeds to prepare a fine mustard powder.
- In a thoroughly cleaned glass /ceramic jar , add carrots , beetroots , black salt , salt to taste, red chilli powder and freshly ground mustard powder.
- Add 1.5 litre of drinking water . You may increase quantity to 2 litre if vessel has capacity .
- Mix well with a wooden spoon / spatula . Close the jar tightly with lid or muslin cloth.
- Keep it for fermentation in sun for 2-3 afternoons. Stir once daily.
- Kaanji is ready in 2-3 days , confirm by colour and sour taste.
Pin it for later :
Liked this article? Do share and spread the love.
For more articles : Sign Up/ follow Friday Night Column on Facebook , Click Here!
Follow us on Instagram: Click Here !
Join us on Twitter : Click Here !
Leave a Reply