Breakfast should ideally be filling , healthy and quick . No one wants to grill in the kitchen early morning .
Suji Dhokla is a light , healthy breakfast option for the whole family . Also a perfect finger food for your toddler , soft and fluffy.
You can prepare the batter at night and just steam in your dhokla/Idli maker in the morning. It requires 30 minutes time atleast for fermentation.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Fermentation Time : 30 minutes / Overnight in Fridge
Cooking Time : 8 to 15 minutes (depends on your steamer )
- Suji (Semolina ) : 3/4 cup
- Curd : 1/4 cup
- Water : 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Fruit salt / ENO : 1 sachet
- Oil : 1 tbsp
For tempering :
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) : 1/2 tsp
- Heeng : a pinch
- Curry leaves : 4-6
- Urad dal / Chana Dal : 1 tsp
For garnish :
- Chopped Coriander leaves : 1 tbsp
- Take Suji , Curd , water , salt , oil (1 tbsp) in a bowl and whisk until smooth . Keep it for resting for 30 minutes . You can also keep it overnight in fridge.
- Grease a Dhokla stand with oil and prepare your steamer by adding adequate water .
- Add fruit salt (ENO) to the Dhokla batter and a few drops of water . Whisk well to incorporate air and quickly pour the batter in Dhokla stand and immediately steam .
- A conventional steamer may take 12- 15 minutes to steam the Dhokla. I make in a microwave steamer and it takes 8 minutes . Check with a tooth pick for testing whether done . If the tooth pick comes out dry , remove from steam.
- Invert the Dhokla over a serving plate and cut into rectangular slices.
- Prepare tempering oil by heating oil over medium heat , add mustard seeds ,cumin seeds, urad/Chana Dal , heeng and curry leaves and let it splutter .
- Pour the tempering over the Dhokla .
- Serve warm with chopped coriander on top.
Tip: Add Eno just before steaming for soft and fluffy Dhokla .
Pin it for later:
For Toddler Meal Plans : Click Here !
Liked this article? Do share and spread the love.