Toddlers comprise age group 1 year to 3 years .
These meal plans are made for my twins C&I , as being a working mother of twins (I am a doctor by profession) I find it easier to plan in advance.
Do read the basic toddler meal rules mentioned below.
Vegetarian protein rich options to replace egg/non vegetarian meals is mentioned below .
I am sharing my parenting journey on this blog Friday Night Column, for more you can follow my page on Facebook/ Instagram/Twitter .
All the unique dishes mentioned in the meal plan can be made using the recipes mentioned in the Recipe Index for Toddler Meal Plan . Click here for the Index.
Recipes of Sprouts Khichri , Suji Dhokla and Suji Pizza will be updated on our Facebook Page this week .
Pin it for later: https://pin.it/0_6qM5T
Basic Toddler Meal Rules :
- Practice scheduled meal times and always feed on table and chair / high chair to avoid chaos at meal.
- Toddlers need 3 main meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner and 2/3 snacks .
- Dairy should be restricted to 400-500 ml a day . (I feed milk only thrice / max 4 times : 7am & 8pm and once to induce afternoon nap)
- For picky eater : practice giving them variety.
- If fussy, Follow the rule : Parents provide , Children decide ! Give two healthy options during snack time to kids and then let them decide what they want , instead of forcing your decision on them .
- Snack Time is NOT treat time . Hence do not give unhealthy packaged food at snack time , choose from healthy options mentioned below .
- Snack time should also be fixed and continuous snacking should be discouraged so that child develops good habits from the start and can avoid childhood obesity. Avoid keeping unhealthy junk at home.
- Avoid added sugar for babies till 2 years as much as you can and after 2 years of age limit to 6 tsp a day . This is recommended by American Academy Of Paediatrics (AAP).
- I practice moderation with my twins , so neither I give sugar often nor I completely ban it .
- The only two beverages toddlers need are Milk (pasteurised Cow milk) and Water . Juice / juice drinks are not recommended by AAP . If you do give juice, limit intake to 4 oz / 120 ml a day and avoid giving in sipper.
- Children who consume eggs regularly were found to have better potential to reach good heights and avoid stunting , hence my meal plans often include eggs , however I will include vegetarian options to replace them as well.
- Children should not be made to follow any kind of special diets until their doctor prescribes . Hence do not give gluten-free / vegan / ketogenic diets to children until clinically indicated.
- Toddlers may not be able to obtain all their calories in main meal times , hence snack time helps them compensate.
- If they eat less in one meal , they will eat more in the other and manage to take the required calories by the day ends , hence do not force feed at any meal.
- Avoid giving any beverages (milk/juice etc) except water between 11pm to 7 am to avoid development of dental caries .
- I prefer using Ghee to prepare food for my toddlers . Alternatively I use butter / vegetable oil if the recipe demands.
- I give farm fresh pasteurised cow milk to my twins which I procure locally .
- I make paneer and curd at home for children.
- The main meal times I follow is 9 am – 1pm – 5pm for breakfast-lunch-dinner respectively .
- I use Chicco Pocket Lunch High Chair for my twins and place finger foods directly on tray for convenience.
- Snack Time options include : (check Recipe Index for recipes)
- Banana / steamed apple / peeled apple / peeled pear / avocado / papaya / oranges /other seasonal fruits
- Homemade Eggless Oatmeal Cookies : Click Here For Recipe
- Steamed carrot / steamed cauliflower
- Fruit Yogurt : Blended fruit (Mango/kiwi/strawberry/blueberry) Purée mixed with Curd (Dahi) .
- Boiled pasta tossed in olive oil
- Wholewheat Banana Bread
- Sliced Hard Boiled Egg
- French Toast / Banana French Toast
- Savoury Spinach And Cheese Muffins
- Vegetarian High Protein options to replace eggs are: (for recipes check Recipe Index)
- Dal (lentils)
- Stuffed dal Parantha
- Moong Dal Cheela
- Curd / curd Rice
- Fruit yogurt
- Peanut butter
- Paneer rice / paneer Parantha
- Soyabean Nutrela granules / chunks
- Besan Cheela
- Other besan preparations
- Chickpea(chhole )/ Rajma (beans)
- Peas (green matar)
Refer to ‘ Recipe Index For Toddler Meal Plan by Friday Night Column ‘ for recipes mentioned in Meal Plan or reach us on Facebook / Instagram / Twitter.
For Meal Plans for 6 to 8 months old : Click Here
For Meal Plans for 9 to 12 months old : Click Here
Liked this article? Do share and spread the love.
For more articles : Sign Up/ follow Friday Night Column on Facebook , Click Here!
hi , ur meal plans super helpful. I am mother of 13 month old currently going through a phase where baby refuses to eat anything and everything 😦
this meal.plan will really help me keep trying.
I also follow 3meals and 400/500ml formula routine.
I was wonderinghow you have been managing nap times with respect to three meals and two snacks.
thanks again.for your help. 🙂
Thanks for appreciating 🙂 . Nap times are 11 to 1 and 3:30 to 5 . Snack Time is usually 10 :30 am and 3 pm , also some finger foods like sliced cucumbers / steamed vegetables while play time .
Hi your column is super helpful for me right now , almost godsent. have been feeding lo solids for 7 months but he is going through a phase of refusing to eat anything and everything. so thanks 🙂
I was wondering how have you been managing naptimes along with three meals and two snacks. I also follow 400/500 ml formula with three meals and two snacks but naptimes sometimes just throws everything off.
congratulations on twins 🙂
Thank you for your kind words 🙂 . Nap times are 11 to 1 and 3:30 to 5 . Snack Time is usually 10 :30 am and 3 pm , also some finger foods like sliced cucumbers / steamed vegetables while play time .
Being fussy is usual for toddlers , keep trying variety . The point of snacks is that they will compensate for nutrients while snacking if they haven’t eaten well during main meals , so it may vary . If they ate well in meal times , they might not take much during snacks and vice versa . Until their growth is fine , you are doing well.
hey my 2.10 years old allergic to milk, milk products and potato..may i know replacement for him
Hi . You can use soy milk , almond milk , coconut milk , coconut cream , rice products . For more I suggest you consult your Paediatrician. If he is NOT sensitive to wheat products , then you have all the wheat /Suji / Maida / Oats options .
Hi…Ur site s very helpful for
me..if I give rajma or any sprouts my 1.1 year old s pooping multiple times with sour smell,how to overcome that??I have two kids 1.1 and 2.9 yrs old..making them sleep s bit complicated fr me bcz both wil behave like twins,how r u managing with ur twins to put them fr sleep??
Thank you. I suggest you soak rajma and other hard grains overnight before you cook and thoroughly pressure cook them till they are Mashable consistency. That will make digestion easier.
I usually make my twins sleep in separate rooms one by one and once they are in deep sleep I shift them in their bed .