Recently food enthusiasts have successfully found (or re-discovered to put it more accurately ) some wonderful superfoods which are fast replacing the refined , processed flour / Maida in Indian snacks all of us love .
One of these superfoods belongs to the millet family and is very easy to use . It is the healthy yet equally tasty – Sorghum / Jowar .
Jowar is rich in calcium and iron . Also it is extremely fibre rich and to top it all , gluten-free as well.
While designing the Monsoon Menu for Kids , I was inclined on adding a type of fritters for the young ones because rains are incomplete without them .
Here is a simple recipe with Jowar, a shallow fried version of vade / fritters made in an appe pan.
For an Amazon India link to buy Appe pan / appam patra : click here !
You can also deep fry these fritters if you do not have an appe pan.
Jowar Vade / Sorghum Fritters in Appe Pan | Monsoon Menu For Kids | Toddler Meal Ideas | Snacks |
Prep Time : 4-6 hours or overnight
Cooking Time : 7-8 minutes
Yield : around 15 appe sized vade
1/2 cup jowar ka aata / Sorghum flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour / aata
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tbsp Curd
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder / haldi powder
Water for dilution
Ghee / Oil for shallow frying
Baking soda / Soda bicarbonate – a pinch
- Take a mixing bowl and add jowar aata , whole wheat flour , ginger and garlic paste , 1 tbsp curd , salt and turmeric powder to it .
- Mix well and add water (a little more than 1/3 cup) to make a batter (not too runny , just like idli batter)
- Let it ferment in fridge overnight preferably . You can do it for 4-6 hours also .
- Before frying , add soda bicarb to the batter. You may need to add a tablespoon or more of water for diluting the batter if it thickens.
- For frying , take an appe pan and grease all chambers of it with ghee .
- Put it on medium heat and pour the batter to cover the hollows of appe pan completely . Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat . Once one side is golden and cooked , flip the appe with a stick or knife .
- Cook the other side on medium heat with the pan covered for another 3-4 minutes .
- Serve hot .